Wednesday, November 9, 2016

The World Continues to Turn

I'm sure quite a lot of folks are in shock this morning. I was surprised when I heard about our new president. Surprised, but not unexpected. I wanted to share some things today.
If you are looking for perspectives that are more direct, insightful and outside MSM, these may serve you well.


Don't Panic - First, understand that the opposite of panic is not blithe acceptance of the situation -- it's clear-minded, positive, day-to-day action. Panic makes you do stupid shit or, even worse, curl up into a ball and do nothing. Don't tell me you have reason to panic. You never have reason to panic. You have reason to act.

Why it happened. Chris Hedges has insights in this post and this one:
The rise of Donald Trump is the product of the disenchantment, despair and anger caused by neoliberalism and the collapse of institutions that once offered a counterweight to the powerful. Trump gives vent to the legitimate rage and betrayal of the white underclass and working poor. (my emphasis)
John Michael Greer does well in capturing the rural vs city dynamic here.

As does Cracked: How Half Of America Lost Its F**king Mind.

And I think Bob Cringley is spot on with his piece and quote from Harry S. Truman:
When contemplating General Eisenhower winning the Presidential election in 1952, retiring President Harry Truman said, “He’ll sit here, and he’ll say, ‘Do this! Do that!’ And nothing will happen.”
Personally, I am not a fan of globalism, and believe we need to focus more on local communities  to source our Food, Energy and Water, healthcare, goods and education. Perhaps this will be an opportunity to dive deeper into that.

And, if you are tweaked about the outcome, I have to ask: What did you do to participate in the political system and campaign and governing of our county and your local community, beyond voting?

I voted my conscience. I voted for the kind of country I want to live in.

No comments: