Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Tapasia



Back in the 80's I introduced a friend of mine to ***-**, and he introduced me to the book: Be Here Now by Ram Dass. The first time I opened the book I opened to a page that described exactly what I was experiencing at that moment.
Given the intense subjective aspect of my experience, I thought: Wow, Pretty neat trick. This is a keeper.

I treasured the book and what it had to say and began listening to and seeing Ram Dass. He always resonated with me.

I last saw him about 6 years ago in Marin, CA. He was in a wheel chair from his stroke, but still telling stories and being Ram Dass. Comforting in a way. The questions he was being asked were probably the same ones he had heard thousands of times. He mentioned hearing the inner voice through the din of the outer blaring trumpets.

I raised my hand to ask a question.
How does one make the trumpets quieter?
He paused...(unusual for him) and then he (the universe) answered:
You don't make the trumpets quieter, you ignore them and pay more attention to the inner voice.

Recently I came across this quote from Be Here Now, for a friend:
Tapasia
Strengthening By Fire

If a man gives way to all his desires, or panders to them, there will be no inner struggle in him, no ‘friction’ no fire. But, if for the sake of attaining a definite aim, he struggles with the desires that hinder him – he will gradually then create a fire which will gradually transform his inner world into a single whole.

-- Ouspensky, In Search of the Miraculous
Here is a Deep Bow, Big Hug and Big Smiles to Ram Dass.

No comments: