Friday, July 2, 2010

Modeling Behavior


When I used to teach software design I would use real-world examples in class rather than the canned case studies the course came with. I preferred to let the students watch me work a (new, unknown) problem, thus modeling the behavior that they were to use in their own software development.

This worked very well. This was also, as you might imagine, risky. There were several times when I worked myself into a design corner that was wrong and had to backtrack and redo and redesign.

Many instructors would freak out at this idea - that they could make a mistake in front of the class.

Me., I saw it as freeing and a great teaching technique:
1. I'm human and I make mistakes
2. I'm willing to own my dirty butt
3. Here's how I fix it

Same is true here. I'll share what I'm going through as I revisit and re-consider many things I've "taken for granted" since (and before ) The Shift.

This is all a work in progress - any of it may be deemed trash and redone at any time.
So, as I always suggested to my students...

Take notes in pencil.

No comments: