Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Simply Celebrate




Watching the movie "What the Bleep Do We Know" reconfirmed a suspicion I've had recently that many of us walk around self-hypnotized.
I mean literally hypnotized.
Think of all the environmental factors that contribute to this:
  • TV
  • Media
  • Radio
  • iPod, iPod, iPhone
  • TV (worth a double mention ;-)
  • Mindless egoic babble
  • Allowing Dark background into the foreground
  • Mindless Tasks
Question for you: What would you add to this list?

Question for you: How do you break yourself out of this hypnotic trance?

Two dear friends of mine have a technique that works wonderfully and magically. I would like to share this with you.
The technique is called "Simply Celebrate."

In a nutshell it is:
  1. Notice you are on automatic. Noticing is the first step. This can come from inside or outside.
  2. Take a moment and be quiet internally and allow creativity to fill you and think about how to do what you are doing in a different, creative fashion.
  3. Notice any difference this makes.
And, over time, look back and see what difference doing Simply Celebrate is making in your life.

Example: I'm driving, notice I've been on auto-pilot. I then Simply Celebrate by choosing to put on a different radio station. I usually listen to rock, so maybe I change to classical. Or I take my shoes off and drive with my bare feet. Or start singing a song.

The actual specifics of what you choose does not really matter, as long as you:
  • Break the trance
  • Bring in (non-local) awareness and creativity.

Why does this work?
1. Consciously breaking out of the trance actually causes the neurons in your brain to break their old synaptic patterns, thus opening you to the possibility of new choices and behaviors (FYI: this is a good thing). However, this is not sufficient by itself; or you could simply slap your own wrist, thus breaking the trance.

2. The Creative aspect is vital because this is a direct invitation to the IS to come in and "enlighten" you. Even something small can have this effect.

You can do this anywhere, anytime, with no preparation, training, resources, help, financial support, moral encouragement, support groups, snazzy accessories, zafus, zabutans, incense, books, poems, mantras, gurus, gods, etc. You can do this anytime, as much as you want and it works deeper and deeper.

One thing I like about this technique is that it supports the practice of "small breakthroughs."
By inviting in small breakthroughs, I also invite in what could become a big breakthrough. As I open to breakthrough vs. auto-pilot I open my self. My consciousness expands. My heart opens. My world improves. My experience of the world improves.

Like little ideas and Big Ideas. We can't tell what ideas will be big. So allowing in little ideas opens the door to the ones that are really Big. (Read more about this in the book: Ideas are Free).

Practicing Simply Celebrate allows the Extraordinary Life that is Right Here Right Now to break through the ordinary life you're sleeping through. It can help break through the static, unyielding bubble we place ourselves in called My Life.

Lather - rinse - repeat until mind melts
Then get on with it.

5 comments:

Kitty said...

:-) http://mebanelabyrinth.blogspot.com/2010/03/this-brought-happy-tears-to-my-eyes.html

Kitty said...

Damn. This design doesn't allow links from comments. Sorry.

I had found an article about dancing in a labyrinth by Sherry Belul several months ago. It's a wonderful article and excellent reminder to go with it, whatever It is at the time.

Joe D G said...

OK, I've been outed....Sherry is "one of my dear friends." The other is my wife Tricia ;-)
They are creating Simply Celebrate together.

Per Kitty's observation...I am in the process of setting up a web-place where we will have more room to play.

Kitty said...

I'm laughin'.

t said...

http://www.greatfreedom.org/index.html

Short moments of clarity,
repeated many times,
become continuous!

jay